In January 2017 we were pleased to complete refurbishment works to the entry of Hopetoun Gardens in Elsternwick.
Work began in September 2016 at this historical community site, which is home to mid-19th Century cannons.
The cannons, purchased by the Victorian Government in 1866 from the British Royal Arsenal, are two of only 25 made and were first placed in the Gardens in 1910. They were temporarily removed for major restoration works in 2013 before being reinstated in 2015 in time for 150th anniversary celebrations.
Works to the entry included the planting of four mature palm trees — which fittingly honour the significance of the historic cannons — as well as additional landscaping along the facade of the Gardens, new garden beds, seating, signage and a new entrance wall and updated paving.